High-Quality Bicycle Travel Bag Advice
Decide you want to travel with your bicycle to a big race our adventure out of town? Trying to figure out the best way to get your bike to your destination? You have googled the right answer.
Below are ten features you need to consider when deciding what is the best high-quality bicycle travel bag for your adventure. We have decided on this list based on our renting and selling an assortment of bike travel brands like Thule, Dakine and EVOC.
Our hope is these insights will help make sure you are selecting the best high-quality bicycle travel bag option for your budget. We want to make sure your bike arrives safe to and from your destination.
- Durability: A high-quality bike travel bag should be made from durable materials that can withstand the rigors of travel, such as rugged terrain and inclement weather. Both soft and hard case options exist that fall into this point. Don’t assume a soft case option doesn’t meet this option. The leading bike travel bags are in fact soft cases.
- Size: The size of the bag should be adequate enough to carry all your essential gear and belongings without being too bulky or cumbersome to transport. Take the time to measure your bike as a correct fitting bag will prevent damage to your bike.
- Padding: A high-end bike travel bag should have sufficient padding to protect your bike and prevent it from getting damaged during transportation. Padded areas to note are around the base of the travel bag. Some brands also come with padding that came be removed and adjusted based on the your specific bag. This particular feature is helpful when traveling with different bikes.
- Multiple carrying options: A quality bag should have different carrying options, such as shoulder straps or handles, to make it easier to carry and transport. Also, wheels on the travel bag are also worth considering to help when walking through airport terminals.
- Water resistance: A top performing bike travel bag should be water-resistant to protect your bike and gear from rain and moisture. Note a difference exists between water proof and water resistance. For most bike travel bags, water proof is not necessary, water resistance material should be sufficient.
- Ventilation: A high-quality bicycle travel bag should have adequate ventilation to prevent the buildup of moisture and odors inside the bag.
- Compartments and pockets: A leading bicycle travel case should have different compartments and pockets to organize and separate your gear and accessories.
- Compatibility: A high-quality bicycle travel bag should be compatible with different types and sizes of bikes, such as road bikes, mountain bikes, and fat bikes.
- Security: A cycling travel bag should have a secure locking system to prevent theft and unauthorized access to your bike and gear. If a travel bag doesn’t have this feature, you can also buy third party locks to help secure your bike as you travel.
- Lightweight: A leading bike travel bag should be lightweight and easy to carry to minimize additional weight and bulk when traveling.
PS- Bike travel bags priced under roughly $400 are normally not going to meet these thresholds. Thus, if you think you can get a bike travel bag on Amazon for $50, you are selecting a low end option that will not end well for your travels.
Have more cycling travel questions we didn’t answer above? Check out our FAQ with our time savings insights.
Have questions on how to pack your bike travel bag? Manufacturer’s Installation Video Found Here.
Not ready to rent a bike travel case yet? Want more cycling tips and tricks for beginners?
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter as your first step.
We will send you great rental deals, discounts and giveaways to allow you to take more enjoyable biking trips and races.